So my son Vincent (or “Vinny” as I call him) is 6 months old!
As the mother of an average, healthy (somewhat larger than average) baby, I would LOVE to share with you the toys and gear that have made both baby and I’s life enjoyable so far.
- The Activity Gym. If you don’t own one, get one. Seriously. As early as his first day home from the hospital, we used this Activity Gym for tummy time and play time. Before, he used to just stare at everything and make little adorable noises. Now, he reaches for things and swats at things, and has even started rolling over! We even ended up getting a second Activity Gym/Ball Pit because we loved it so much. My husband LOVES the ball pit and plays with the baby in it quite a bit.
Vincent and his Activity Gym
Vincent and the Hubby’s favorite – the Ball Pit/Activity Gym Combo
- The Bumbo Seat. We also have the tray. It’s perfect to use in combination with the Activity Gym. It gives baby a different perspective on the world (he has a small world so far) and helps give him some much needed head/neck exercise. We started putting him in it at around 4 months old. He’s at the age where he is trying so hard to sit up on his own (sometimes we surround him with a Boppy Pillow to get him some more core practice) so he really enjoys being able to sit up like a big boy.
Vincent Chillin in his Bumbo Seat under the gym (and flicking us off accidentally)
- Links. These toys are so cheap but so entertaining for him. Plus, they’re portable (we attach them to his Activity Gym, his Exersaucer, his carseat, a shopping cart..etc) and they are easy for him to hold on to. He is very into grabbing anything and chewing on it right now. Links usually come in a variety of textures, so he loves gumming them. You’ll see in the photos above the links hanging from the gyms. Here they are pictured on their own.
- Easy to Grip Toys like this Ball. Again, his favorite skill lately is reaching for things and putting them in his mouth. I don’t really want him chewing on anything furry or that he could choke on, so toys like this are great. He can hang onto them easily.
Vincent practicing his grip on his Ball before dinner
- Exersaucer/Jumper. Both at daycare and at home, this is his current favorite toy, and it is my savior. Whenever I need to do something like the dishes or make lunch, I can stick him in this jumper for 15-30 minutes (sometimes longer) and he is completely content and safe! Plus, it’s good exercise for him!
Vincent enjoying his jumper
- Board Books. It is NEVER too early to start reading to your kids! We read at least 2 books before bedtime, (our favorite is Goodnight Moon and Time for Sleep), and usually a couple more during the day. I recommend board books over paper pages because a) your baby will put everything in his mouth and they are more sturdy b) they are harder to wreck if your baby gets a hold of them.
- Crinkle Toys like This Giraffe. This is our favorite toy to bring with to restaurants or in the car because it’s small but it keeps him occupied! I got this as a gift from a friend, and for whatever reason our baby is endlessly entertained by it!
- The Bath Tub. Okay, so this isn’t technically a “toy”, but giving your baby a bath is one of the most fun things you’ll do. Plus, if baby is fussy, sometimes giving him a bath will relax him or at least distract him. I love this tub we got off of Amazon! It’s a “grow with me” style, so it works for them as infant all the way until they are big enough to sit up in the tub by themselves (well, under supervision).
Please feel free to share any other toys you recommend!